The SV-4 was designed as a biplane tourer/training aircraft in the early 1930s, by Stampe & Vertongen in Antwerp. The first model was the SV-4A, an advanced aerobatic trainer, followed by the SV-4B with redesigned wings and the 130 hp/97 kW de Havilland Gipsy Major engine.
Only 35 aircraft were built before the company was closed during the Second World War. After the war, the successor company Stampe et Renard built a further 65 aircraft between 1948 and 1955 as trainers for the Belgian Air Force.
A licensed S4C version was built in France by SNCAN (Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Nord), and in Algeria by Atelier Industriel de l'Aéronautique d'Alger, the two firms completing a combined total of 940 aircraft. The postwar SV-4Cs were widely used by French military units as primary trainers. Many also served in aero clubs in France, numbers of which were later sold second-hand to the United Kingdom and other countries.